"If you hear a voice within you say 'you cannot paint,' by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced." - Vincent Van Gogh

Thursday, February 28, 2013

Steps toward Greater Health

For those of you who have been reading my blog for a while, you know that four months ago I embarked on a major life change - my diet. Although it's a road that I took 20 years ago and lived by for quite a few years, I fell off the wagon so to speak. This time I'm back on the road with every intention of making it stick.

The change in my diet started primarily as a weight loss goal, but has mutated into a much higher goal - good health!

My food plan is not the normal way of nutrition according to our culture. I do not eat sugar, dairy. I eat very little wheat and only whole wheat. I eat no animal products - that includes meat, fish, dairy, eggs or anything else that came from something that walked.

So what do I eat? I eat a plant based diet - fruit, vegetables, nuts and seeds. I'm learning to enjoy some tofu but else - that's about it.

I've lost some weight. I've gone down 4 pants sizes but I have a ways to go yet. I figure that I'm about 1/2 way to my goal now.

I have not been perfect. I didn't set out on this journey to be perfect, just healthy.

When I visit my sister for a party and survey their delicious items, I test a little bit - but I focus on the raw food products. My exercise routine - not perfect this winter, kind of almost non-existent - but as the weather improves I'm looking forward to my walks in the fresh air.

I pray, meditate and enjoy occasional yoga with every intention of giving myself more time for those pleasures.

How has this changed my life? Immensely!!!

First of all, I am no longer depressed about my size. I'm not starving myself and exercising like a crazy woman with no success. I know that as time goes on, my body will continue to head toward it's healthy weight. I don't make it an obsession... I just live. Once in a while I notice that my pants are a bit more baggy and then I reach into my drawer for the next lower size. (A little tip - I went out to BJ's and bought 3 sizes of jeans in eager anticipation. It's a great way to chart my progress without using the scale. Besides, the jeans were cheap.)

Secondly, I am feeling so much better! My skin is glowing. My blood pressure is down. My heart beats more slowly. I don't worry about heart attack, cancer or anything that I used to spend a great deal of time ruminating on.

Thirdly, I know that I am treating my body well and it gives me great joy. I am honoring the temple of my spirit and thus performing a great act of self-love.

Fourth, it's an act of worship to honor the body that God gave me. Everything that I eat is an act of love toward God.

My confidence and productivity are growing. I'm embarking on some new ventures and have the energy and mind clarity with which to do it.

Trade off - yes. I don't have that short term "eat that bad food" gratification. I've had to deny myself while I've watched others enjoy what I wish I could be enjoying. It isn't a choice for sissies - but I've done it and I'm really proud of myself!

But I'm only human and I do come from a long line of butchers somewhere in my ancestral heritage! I love meat as much as the next person - but I don't love what meat has done to me. Perhaps I'm more fortunate because I came down with a chronic illness at the age of 27 that has influenced my energy, finances and all manner of my life, and that of my family. I couldn't deny that my health was poor. Modern medicine could not cure me so I was forced to look into alternative methods.

I have to make a decision every day to do the right thing and that's not always easy - especially when I'm traveling or eating with others who will not want to make the same choices that I do.

To keep myself motivated, once in a while I give myself a shot in the arm in the form of a documentary movie or book. Since I love to pass on to you what I am learning, I have a few more resources for you to watch. All are available on Netflix instant.

"Foodmatters" is a documentary then explains the connection between heart disease and cancer and diet. Full of scientific evidence that our current diet is destroying our health along with great tips to take charge of your health in a safe and effective way. Check out the website Foodmatters.tv. You can even watch this video on youtube.



"Hungry for Change" is another movie that will educate you and cause you to take pause at what you are putting in your mouth!


The choice is always yours! It is completely up to you how you want to eat and live. But at the very least, educate yourself. Learn the facts... the REAL facts. You are worth it - and it's great for body and soul!



No comments:

Post a Comment