"If you hear a voice within you say 'you cannot paint,' by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced." - Vincent Van Gogh

Friday, February 1, 2013

Fighting the weight barrier

I know I haven't written in a little while so I should update you all.

I went and received my award feeling very beautiful. I had a slew of new clothing to wear and enjoyed picking out my outfits every day. I was proud of my 3 month vegan life and the results that accompanied it. Here's the picture of me with my friend and creative co-hort Arthur Levi Rainville and Tim Walden, the current president of PPA. I was so glad that Tim was president right now as I had the opportunity to get to know he and his lovely wife Beverly a few years ago when they spoke at our state convention and I was their chauffeur. Very kind down to earth people.



Oh yes - but this is about ME... :).  Alright, here is where I get brutally honest. I share these things because we all struggle with different aspects of our lives and this is one of mine.

So here's the problem people. All in all I did EVERYTHING I set my mind to... but I'm not satisfied. Why? When I look at the picture I don't see where I came from... I see where I have to BE. I was hoping that 3 months of denial would show more visible benefits. I'm still not rocking my body. Furthermore, I've hit one of those dreaded plateaus this month where I'd be surprised if the scale has even tipped down although I'm being completely faithful to my food plan. 

Furthermore, for the most part I stuck to my vegan ways at the convention which was a VERY difficult thing to do! When at the great restaurants I ordered things like side orders of baked potatoes and veggies or whole wheat pasta with marinara and mushrooms or chinese vegetables with tofu and brown rice. Breakfasts consisted of fruit and granola. I indulged in 1/2 a dessert one night but left the rest and on the final night I enjoyed some rack of lamb and some bubbly since I decided that would be my celebratory night at my happy dinner.

To be fair in the busyness of life, I have let my walking and my gym going lapse and I suppose that is equally as important but I would have to believe that giving my body nutritious foods would tip the scale in my benefit even if I didn't have time for the daily sweating activity.

Now that life is back to normal - meaning my daughters are back in school and in their routines it will be a good time to get back to my exercise routine.

How are you all doing on this? Did the holidays throw you for a loop?

I read an interesting article today that I am attaching the link for. The struggle with weight is a real one that can leave people feeling out of touch with their bodies. After all, we are judged in this world partly by how we look. People think you don't have your act together if you are overweight. Beautiful people get way more love and kudos then those who are not quite as blessed in the looks department. Opportunities abound for some and escape others. The world does not judge by your inner beauty but by your outer appearance. It's sad but true. http://www.xojane.com/clothes/i-know-the-line-between-straight-and-plus-size-is-fictional-but-crossing-it-feels-super-real

The good news is that we can be the change agents in our little world. We can look past appearance and get to see the inner jewel that is inside every one. Status and beauty are merely decorations. There's nothing wrong with them, but they are not the whole picture. As we age, we all lose our beauty and soon our status fails too as we appear to outlive our usefulness in the world (in other's minds or maybe even in our own). We are here for such a short time but in that little window we can love others with a love that celebrates each soul's individuality. 

If the mirror doesn't reflect what you feel inside - work on sharing your inner beauty with the world.... it's good for the soul!

No comments:

Post a Comment