"If you hear a voice within you say 'you cannot paint,' by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced." - Vincent Van Gogh

Monday, June 11, 2012

Destiny

For rarely man escapes his destiny. (Ludovico Ariosto)

My oldest daughter and I were conversing today about destiny. She has her college plans, grad school and internship experiences all mapped out along with how she hopes her life to look in the far future. I told her that I envied her clarity and wished that I had the wisdom that she does at her age. I said that if I could have a do-over, I would go to art school and study overseas (to see my college story read my "Crimes on Creativity" post). When I got to the "and then what would my life look like now" part of the conversation I realized an amazing thing. I would be doing EXACTLY what I am doing now - creating, writing and teaching! Somehow, in the course of life with all it's twists and turns, I've actually discovered my destiny and am living it! How many of you can say that too?

Is our destiny programmed into our very being? 

Are we guided by a higher power to the point that even when we get off the road that the detour takes us right back to where we are supposed to be? 

Do we control our future or is it so predetermined that even the decisions that we make are already known ahead of time and used as part of the plan? 

Think about it.... This is a great mystery of life.

Perhaps we are all living out the destiny that has been planned for us. This is not to say that we can't make decisions to change the course of our lives - but maybe even that is predestined. 

Life stacks one experience upon another. Step by step we march on toward our fulfillment.

If this is true, it means two things.

First, it a waste of time and energy to regret the past. The past was exactly what it needed to be for you to be who you are today! You married who you married because you were supposed to. You were intended to have those particular children. The jobs that you had were marked with your name. The places that you lived, the people that you've known have all been part of your story to make you who you are supposed to be! Even your painful experiences are all programmed into your DNA so that you can fulfill your destiny.

And second, you can rest assured that you will fulfill your purpose. You can know that the good work that has begun in you will be completed. You can know that you will be guided to where you need to go and that your paths will be made very clear. The doors that need to open for you will open. There is a great deal of comfort in this thought.

Maybe this is true. What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment