"If you hear a voice within you say 'you cannot paint,' by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced." - Vincent Van Gogh

Sunday, July 8, 2012

Inspiration Sunday

It's a beautiful day and I'm going to the ocean.... my favorite place in the whole wide world (granted I have yet to see the whole wide world but I suspect water will always have something to do with my favorite places). Sitting by the large body of water with the smell of the salty breeze and the sun warming my face puts me in a place of deep peace.

Since I live in New England, time at the ocean is limited to 8 weeks of summer and weather adjustments so every time that sun shines, I make my way down to my refuge with eager anticipation. At times I go alone and at other times I have an entourage of family, all with their own agendas.

This past week I had the opportunity to go with a fellow photographer friend and play on the beach as the model. The challenge for both of us is to craft something artistic and out of the ordinary while communicating my love for the ocean. This is the third year of this creative birthday tradition. Usually at some point in the shoot it becomes apparent that just placing my feet in the water isn't good enough and I end up fully clothed and draped over barnacled boulders and rolling in the sandy surf drenched from head to toe, hair sticking out at all angles caked with sand and seaweed. I can't wait to see the images!

My friend and I are inspired by the sea. We all have different places that awaken our creativity, mine is the ocean, yours may be your garden or vacation spot. Whatever it is, give yourself a chance today to be inspired! I think this is what the lazy days of summer are all about.

Sometimes inspiration comes from looking at other artist's work. Periodically I will be featuring other art that I find beautiful or interesting for you to feast your eyes on and be inspired by.  Kirsty Mitchell is a photographer who used the grief of her mother's death to create an imaginative project full of color and whimsy. Take a look today and be inspired... it's good for the soul!

No comments:

Post a Comment