"If you hear a voice within you say 'you cannot paint,' by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced." - Vincent Van Gogh

Friday, July 27, 2012

Laughter is the BEST medicine...

Thanks for all your kind words yesterday in response to my post. There are so many beautiful people out there, full of love, concern and prayers. I really appreciate it! I'll never turn down a prayer coming my way! But, I do not want you all to get the wrong idea from my testimony yesterday. I do not really feel like I suffer. Yes, there are some things I would LOVE to have change. In a few years I will have l been sick as long as I have experienced health, but it's become a way of life for me. We all adapt to our issues. And better yet, we can all rise above our circumstances to bring joy to others. Some of the most beautiful people that I've met have walked hand and hand with suffering for many years. They bring maturity and grace to their interactions with others in life. It's part of God's way of bringing good out of evil.

Years ago, my husband and I were serving a church with some MAJOR issues of pastoral abuse (yes, I know... just what we needed). 175 years before we came to this church, the first pastor actually committed suicide because the people were so mean to him! Seven pastors in a row were run out of town by this congregation before we got there, mainly at the hands of one sick little plumber who waged a war the likes that I had never seen before! Statements like "you will be stepping over my dead body before I leave this church" and "no amount of prayer will save this church when I get through with it" were thrown out there with alarming regularity! My husband and I were in our late 30's at the time and went in all bright eyed and bushy tailed, having no idea what was in store for us. Lies, slander, words being taken out of context and blown out of proportion were the order of the day. The hospitality committee was fondly named the "hostility" committee by new members of the church because they were afraid to even take a cookie from the bitter people at the other end of the table. By the time we left after two years, we were literally in fear of our physical safety things had gotten so heated! But here's my point, while the evil burned brightly - so did the good! New people were coming in and lives were being changed! Miracles and healings were happening at an astounding rate. It was an amazing experience to be a part of! As much as I saw the evil that people were capable of, I saw the good in a larger proportion! This is the evidence to me that God is still alive and well and although He keeps silent when we'd love him to rush in and wipe out pain, he's doing some pretty amazing things under the surface.

Okay, so enough heavy.... Today the order of the day is about fun! One of the things that "gets us through" all the hard things in life is FUN!!! Some things can't be changed but a laugh will always make you feel better! What do you do for fun? How much FUN do you get to have? Do you ration your fun as if it's going to run out if you do it too much? It doesn't you know - fun begets fun begets fun.... It multiplies - the more you enjoy it, the more it hunts you out and lands upon you.

Fun is the solution to a bad day. Laughter is the perfect ending to a good cry - a little joke, silly comment and the grey clouds move on out of the way, letting the sun come in and warm your heart!

For some reason, many of us take life too seriously! Yes, life is serious business ... but is it really? We have so little control of things. Sometimes the ridiculous happens. Are you able to laugh at yourself and the crazy things that happen in your day? I've always been able to laugh at the pathetic.... slipping on wet paint and being covered head to toe with yellow curb paint brings laughter to a whole new level. Add in a few pictures and you've got a story! Waterskiing and breaking bikini tops brings years of funny memories to a group gathering (heh folks, you gotta laugh!)

To be able to see the humor in life is a great gift! I love to surround myself with funny people. I love to watch funny movies. I used to watch those "you had a bad day" videos in droves and just crack up while people ended up in the most bizarre situations, maybe because I could picture it happening to me! I know it seems inappropriate to hoot when someone slides across the floor taking tables and chairs with them and lands in a most undignified fashion... but I laugh (as long as they aren't hurt).

Norman Cousins laughed his way right out of cancer! There has got to be a reason the they say "laughter is the best medicine!" So, if life is getting to you... start with a kind act toward others and sprinkle in a healthy dose of fun and laughter today.... it's good for the soul!

Here's a video that makes me laugh every time I watch the crazy thing....







No comments:

Post a Comment