"If you hear a voice within you say 'you cannot paint,' by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced." - Vincent Van Gogh

Friday, November 9, 2012

Bill Hemmerling

Bill Hemmerling was a black folk artist - a white black folk artist that is. He passed on a few years ago however his art lives on in the Hemmerling Gallery of Southern Art in New Orleans, LA. After reading my article below you will see why I love Black Folk Art so much.... along with all kinds of other varieties of art. I was a black folk artist on ebay for a few years too! I did very well in fact.

I stumbled upon this gallery last year when I visited New Orleans for the PPA National Convention. His work resonated deep in my soul. I couldn't afford the book but I bought a calendar so I get to study his work daily. It's raw and crisp and fresh. It's innocent as a child and yet complex with maturity. Check out the link above to the website for a good southern black gospel experience.











1 comment:

  1. Anyone know how to purchase a piece of this amazing art? Thank you.

    ReplyDelete