"If you hear a voice within you say 'you cannot paint,' by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced." - Vincent Van Gogh

Tuesday, November 20, 2012




So how are you at delayed gratification? Does it drive you nuts? Are you able to put off what you want right now for what you want in the future?

Good question to ask during the holidays when we drink that extra drink or want to take a daily visit out for our special holiday treat at an easy to find food establishment.

I decided last week, 1 week before Thanksgiving to become a Vegan. I've done it before with amazing results. I had a hard time keeping it up for more than a year because it was so counter-culture at the time. The thing is that I felt and looked GREAT! As pressure increased and my income decreased for a while there I ended up going the route of dairy and adding other things to my diet that proved to be the beginning of the end.

Society has changed a bit. There are many more vegan options at restaurants and cafeterias. Grocery stores have health food departments now on their shelves so a weekly trip to a health food store is not always necessary. In addition, Whole Foods have sprung up all over giving me the ability to find pretty much anything I need fairly close by, even my in rural environment.

So, I'm trying again. I'm doing this for a number of reasons. First, my health. Like the rest of you, I fear the signs of aging, stroke, heart attack and cancer. Anything that I can do to reduce those risks are appealing to me. Second, I'd like the side affects of a slimmer me. I don't know why conventional plans like diet and exercise don't seem to work for me anymore but drastic times call for drastic measures.

So far in one week I have more energy than I remember having in years. Granted, I have been walking 12-19 miles a week too, but I believe my diet has more to do with it. Many of the aches, pains and arthritic conditions that I have been experiencing is all but alleviated in just one week. My glands are less swollen and there's a bounce in my step.

A few days ago my daughter fell off a three foot stage during her performance. She's find thankfully but it was such a shaking experience that what I wanted to do was reach for a bowl of Ben and Jerry's, but instead, I drank a cup of tea. By denying my short term satisfaction, I was able to focus on my long term goal... health. The next morning I did not wake up with guilt, I woke up with a stronger sense of purpose and fortitude.

If you want some "encouragement" to go vegan or to just get some of your eating more under control, read Skinny Bitch. A bit of knowledge is a great tool.




No comments:

Post a Comment