"If you hear a voice within you say 'you cannot paint,' by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced." - Vincent Van Gogh

Wednesday, November 21, 2012

What would you do if money didn't matter?



In our family we spend quite a lot of time talking about careers that will produce a good income. We train our children who are on the verge of adulthood to get a job that will pay AND that they will enjoy doing. One does not have to be exclusive.

Years ago I chose NOT to be an artist so that I would be assured of an income. Fast forward a few years and I'm an artist making a good income. But that wasn't good enough for me apparently because soon I chose to go back to college and go into ministry. For some reason I thought that ministry would be more stable a career than art (that's really a silly notion). Fast forward again and .... I'm making money doing art.

I love art. I love everything about it. I love to study it and I love to create it. I love to talk about it and to think creativity and I love to teach it. Because I love it, I have worked very hard at my craft and it has paid off.

A few weeks ago I mentioned a book, Talent is overrated: What Really Separates world-Class Performers from Everybody Else by Geoff Colvin. In his book, Colvin shows scientific evidence and studies that suggest that people aren't born talented, they develop their talent. Granted, we all have different aptitudes and interests in our personalities but what distinguishes the good from the great is practice. I'm not speaking repetition as much as applied technics that improve your skill such as the drills a great teacher would put you through.

Bottom line, if you have a deep, penetrating interest, you CAN get really good at it. Once you are a master, there are people out there who will pay for your service. Don't let naysayers discourage you or tell you otherwise. You have one life, one go around. Do what makes your heart sing! By doing so you will bless the world with the true gift of what you have to offer.... it's good for the soul!

No comments:

Post a Comment