"If you hear a voice within you say 'you cannot paint,' by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced." - Vincent Van Gogh

Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Add a little bleach...

It was raining yesterday morning when I got out of bed... more like pouring. The water was coming down all over my little 6x8 screened in porch and my dilapidated couch was soaked. On my settee is an old popcorn chenille white bedspread that I purchased on ebay years ago in my auction days. It's been looking dull lately and so I relegated it to the porch.

All summer, the dogs have been sitting on it and it's had quite a bit of abuse from the elements. So today since the rain started the washing process, I decided to continue it in my Kenmore. As I loaded the detergent, I paused and decided to add a little bleach too.

Now let me just say that I do laundry the same way that I cook, so I have no idea how much I added - I just throw it all in. But it came out looking brighter than I think I've ever seen it! I'm so excited that I might promote it to a bed again!

Decay - it's the natural course of things. Dirt collects more dirt and soon the original beauty is hidden by years of soil.

It's the same for our souls. Pain, suffering, disappointment attach themselves to our souls like barnacles to a ship leaving us lifeless and tired. If we don't attend to them now and then and wash off the gunk, we run the risk of turning into miserable old souls.

So how do we clean up our souls? It's different for everyone. We all have "soul soaps" that suit us better than others. Prayer, meditation, affirmations, music, art, petting an animal, holding a baby.... all of these are great cleansers! Exercise is great too - even if it is just a short walk. Engaging in the arts and creating is one of my favorite scrubbies! Expressing yourself charges the soul up. Even if your form of creative is a crossword puzzle - go for it!

The key is to do it a bit everyday so you don't get so clogged down with the soul stiflers. It's the same with stains in clothing. If you attack them immediately, you have a chance of getting them out, but left to sit and bake on the fabric leaves a stain. No one wants a stained soul!

Make a little list today of those things that encourage your soul and try to do a bit every day. Even if you can only do 5 or 10 minutes, you will be amazed at the benefits. So bleach out that gunk today... it's good for your soul!

No comments:

Post a Comment