"If you hear a voice within you say 'you cannot paint,' by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced." - Vincent Van Gogh

Friday, August 31, 2012

Autumn Days

It is STILL summer. Even though school is in session and Labor Day is just around the corner... it is STILL summer. I don't want to let go.

I know... pumpkins, mums, apple picking and apple crisp is all around the corner... but I love my summer and my ocean. Even though Pumpkin Spice Latte's will return and the new iphone 5 will come out to replace my smoothie dunked phone glop... I still don't want summer to end.

It's hard to let go of things that we love... or people. It's painful to bid farewell to special times and heart connections. But the truth is - seasons come and go and so must we.

My daughter has been living at college for four days now, and I'm still mourning her absence in my home. Oh, she texts me and we've already spoken twice. I will visit her in the next few days and bring her some things and well there's always Facebook. But, I mourn that loss, but I embrace the new with it.

New means that I have a bit more time to do what I need to do. New means I have my car back. New means that there is more room in the shower for shampoo, there's room on the towel bar for my towel and that our 1500 square foot condex just got bigger. New means that when we order one pizza, it feeds the family AND gives us leftovers. I like that! New means that I have a guest room all prepared for my guest today and I can be more hospitable to guests in the future.

I received a letter from my daughter's college today. They said, "Remember, you haven't lost a daughter, you've gained a community". Even recounting the words to you makes my eyes swell up with tears. I haven't lost a daughter, I've gained a community, a really great, interesting, educated community of which I can go and attend events with "smart people". :) Doors are opening for me, as others have closed.

I'm moving on today. My world keeps moving forward and I have one of two choices: I can dig in my heals and complain or I can go with the flow and see where my little river takes me. I'm choosing the second. How about you? What are you holding on to that needs releasing? Let it go now and embrace your future in all it's uncertainty. It's good for the soul!

No comments:

Post a Comment