|Synonyms:||embolden - hearten - support - promote - stimulate|
If you are running stuck, here are a few suggestions on showing encouragement:
1) Say thank you. Thank people for being kind to you. Thank them for taking time to notice you or even taking time to talk to you. Life is so hectic and every second spent is a gift... cherish it and tell them that you do!
2) Look at someone when they speak to you. If you are out and about, don't let your eyes wander about the room while they are sharing their heart and soul. Give them your undivided attention.
Along with that - your cell phones.... (sticky subject, I know). Turn it off or only answer it if it's absolutely necessary. And I mean like a phone call you can't miss or a parent or child that might need you.
3) Act like you care about what you are hearing. Sometimes we "uh huh, and mmmm without really listening. Listen intently and try to care. Comment appropriately. Engage....
4) Praise accomplishments, both creative and intellectual. We fight an uphill battle in this world when we do anything. For anyone to accomplish anything they had to work really hard at it. Praise their effort.
5) Confide in someone and ask for help. Many of us are trained not to ask for help because we don't want to be an imposition on others but I have found that people like to feel needed and like to feel like you trust them. For instance, if you are struggling with an issue, a retired person or housebound soul can pray and give you a listening ear. I tried it recently and watched three situations change in the course of three days... no kidding! It's a win-win situation for everyone.
6) Offer to lend a hand to someone in need. It can be very encouraging to someone struggling to have some physical help. Here are some ideas: paint a room, do their grocery shopping, clean the house, do their hair (only if you are gifted in that regard please), watching their kids for the afternoon, etc. You get the idea. Things that none of us really like to do.
Or you can bless them with a really special gift! Surprises are one of the greatest encouragements! Sometimes one nice gesture can turn a life around.
Okay, there you go.... I'm sure you can think of many more! Go out there and encourage... it's good for the soul!