"If you hear a voice within you say 'you cannot paint,' by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced." - Vincent Van Gogh

Thursday, August 30, 2012

Artistic Inspiration... Dante Rossetti














The artist that you are viewing is English poet and painter, Dante Rossetti, part of the band of Pre-Raphaelite brothers founded in 1848. If you are interested in knowing more, their stories are fascinating! I especially love talking about Dante's muses! I'll save that for another day, maybe - or you might just have to take one of my classes and hear my lecture on muses.

I love the beautiful red flowing hair - a mark of pre-ralph paintings. Makes me think of my friend Cheri (are you reading this Cheri?) The angelic, serene faces on the women almost make it look like heaven. The deep richness of the complementary colors add a pop and a depth to the images. Look at the busyness in the background yet the dominant role of the subject. Just beautiful.....

Take your time to study these images. You can make them larger by clicking in them. What do you like about them? Can you draw inspiration from anything about this art for your own work?

No comments:

Post a Comment