"If you hear a voice within you say 'you cannot paint,' by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced." - Vincent Van Gogh

Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Artist Inspiration: Kamil Vojnar



















The artist you are looking at is Kamil Vojnar born in Moravia, Czechoslavakia. He studied art in Prague and later in Philadephia. Like many artists he settled in Paris and I've heard rumors of him being in the states, doing workshops, etc. In fact, he was teaching up with another photographer on the west coast at the same time I was teaching a school or I might have ventured up that way!

I have been following this photographer for a few years now. I love, love, love his work! If you've been in any of my classes, I always show his as some of my favorite inspiration.

Kamil uses a mixed media approach by layering his photographs and using canvas, textures wax, paint and probably whatever suits his mood. What a great way to add depth to your work.

Religious undertones run through his work giving a sense of both hope and despair, repentance and cleansing. Each image tells a story that can be interpreted by the viewer in their own way.

On an aesthetic level, I just enjoy the blurred, vintage, dressed in white, angel wings and old carnival lights magic feel.

What goes in, always comes out! When we view art, it affects us in one way or another. I'm glad to be affected by his work. On occasion he exhibits in the states so keep your eyes open for it... especially you California people. If you are lucky enough to head off to Europe soon check out his exhibit list. See more at:  kamilvojnar.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment