"If you hear a voice within you say 'you cannot paint,' by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced." - Vincent Van Gogh

Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Inspiration and Storms


Here's an image that I took one beautiful day at the beach. Look at the great clouds in the background! There's a story behind this and the other images posted below.

One day last week after checking the weather report, my daughter muse and I headed down to our favorite location to do some images. I was pretty excited because there were some dramatic clouds in the sky and I wanted to do some eerie images among other things.

When we got there we decided to sit for a while and wait for the sun to get lower in the sky. The humidity was off the charts and my daughter's hair started to curl (which was not what she wanted). After sitting for a while we became hungry and went for some good New England clam chowda.

As we were eating by the pier we felt some rain drops and laughed, hoping they would go soon. We drove back to our park and waited for the rain to end. Instead of ending it started gradually getting stronger and stronger until it was pouring buckets. But that didn't phase us, we had a ghost book and were reading stories of deceased sea captains and their wives coming back to visit the living in New England towns.

Our joy came to an unpleasant holt when my mother called informing me that there were funnel clouds spotted in our area and that we needed to get home immediately. In addition, I knew that my husband was out on his bicycle as he rode to work that day! So obediently my daughter and I left the beach. We headed straight into the eye of the storm and followed it up the coast! It took us 4 hours of driving in floods, and nightmare visual conditions to take what is usually a 1 hour trip!

To make matters worse, when I looked at the satellite later that night I noticed that 10 minutes after we left our beach, all cleared and the sun came out!

So there HAS to be a lesson in that right? Maybe, it's about the storms of life coming on us when we least expect it and changing our plans. It did turn out okay in the end because these were the clouds I had the next day! 

I have a song that I sing to myself quite often. It is stuck in my head from my Vineyard days 10 years ago. 
                   "Though storms of strife, assail me without warning.
                      And though they try to steal my joy away.
                      I will find rest, in knowing you have saved me
                      Precious Jesus, rock of my salvation."

In life, storms come and go.... They hijack our plans, sending us into a tailspin of panic and danger at times. We can find rest that in the end, it's all going to be okay. It's true for me and it's true for you!
                      

No comments:

Post a Comment